Monday, February 15, 2010

Ursula's long overdue post and question

Long week or has it been weeks. Long meaning i'm not really sure if I'm in the AM or PM. Should I be in my pajamas or my work clothes that are really my nice clothes covered in clay particles and imaginary pieces of glass because i can't really see them. I'm having trouble keeping my lids open on my face so i pull my hair back through my fingers in attempts to wake me but it doesn't work. I just want to move my hands through material whether it be hot or wet and cold I don't care. It's the only thing that wakes me from being dull. I need to draw or something. Give me a pen.

I forgot to do a lot of things because I didn't have time between sleep, eat, work and trying to stay awake.I went to the Fostic Nelson sometime ago and remember the person working at the desk having quite an eye on me like I was waving around a large sharpie screaming "If you don't stop me I will vandalize everything including the floor". I just had a really blank stare and was wearing some natural clay toned jeans with hiking boots...i don't know what shirt I was wearing or what my hair looked like. The important thing is I was on a hunt looking for Wayne's piece. I found it instantly...because I just know things I guess or maybe because it resembles earth cloud because it was white and all...but most likely because nothing else seemed to have Higby written beside it. I walked up to it to find it having large cracks in the piece. I was of a discomfort because of the woman at the desk who was still staring at me. I left quickly without much thought besides this question:

I saw the cracks which were prominent and assuming important to the piece. Where they are placed, was this intentional?

I went to the glass studio shortly thereafter...and tried not to fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Ursula, Clay/Ceramic cracks, that is, in part, its nature--- as you are finding out first hand. I fought the cracking problem of ceramics for years. This was a matter of principal with me. Accomplishing a no crack condition while at the same time making rather complex shapes became a matter of fixed determination for me-I had to prove my skill/craftsmanship--over come the odds. When I started to work in porcelain about 15 years ago I realized that the high temperature firing would allow the shapes to become strong even with cracks. I was excited by this. I always liked cracks, so, the answer to your question: YES-the cracks are important to the piece. They reinforce the physical-material presence of the tile object in contrast to the atmospheric image. I know that there will be cracks in a piece like the one in the faculty show, but I can not plan on where they will occure exactly. Good question, thanks. We will watch the crack in your piece with attentive interest. How will it develop? Where will it take the piece? Wait to see how it is after it is glaze fired. It is "all" a learning experience. Best, Professor Wayne

    ReplyDelete