Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Arianna's Question

First let me say that I love clouds. Clouds clouds clouds. When I fly, I'm always happy with a rainy day because once we're in the air, I have something interesting to look at. Saying this, I loved your work because I felt it embodied the idea of a cloud (not being able to look past certain layers, and being okay with this).

So my question(s) is/are: Why did you choose (or why have you chosen in the past) to look at clouds for inspiration? Also, what's the timetable of your creative process? Not "how long does it take," but more, what do you see when you know (if you know) that a piece is complete and ready for exhibition?

2 comments:

  1. Arianna, The "cloud thing" started with a response to the Alfred landscape and my development of a work for the Miller Performing Arts building here on the AU campus. Previously, although my art had always featured a response to landscape, my spiritual/mental places were the West of my childhood or the coast of Maine where I have spent a great deal of time. Both these landscapes are pretty dramatic-the mountains and horizons of the West and the rocks and ocean views of Maine. Alfred has no such drama, but the sky and the humidity create qualities of light and air that engender magnificent clouds. Also, as you descend the stairs in the Miller building, down toward the entrance to the black box theater the sky comes up at you and you converse with the clouds. I will be reworking this same idea in the new Miller Theater building addition. I am never absolutely sure about my work. A new somewhat experimental piece for me, like the one in the faculty show just must go up-I need to try it, see if it works for me. Essentially, an exhibition is a place for the artist to try out the work, the ideas/assumptions, in a context away from the studio. So, I do everything I can and then just have to see it. I take a risk that it will fall flat and, of course, that could be embarrassing, but there will be a next time and I need to learn as much as possible about what I am exploring in my studio. Thanks for your sensitive questions. Best, Professor Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that in the process of experimenting new work, the experiment becomes a part of your body of work, and viewers (like students) start to make connections between the experiment and your past work. I can't wait to see the new work in the Miller building.
    Thanks for answering,
    Arianna

    ReplyDelete