Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Justine Cruz

Reading your article was very interesting, my favorite part was when you are talking about really taking the time to look at piece of art instead of just glancing over it. The thing that I enjoy most about your work is that you incorporate clouds, which has always been something that my mom and I talk about; the color of the clouds really. When you look up at the sky the clouds are never just white, they are purple with shades of gray and blue and sometimes pink, very rarely are clouds just white, so I feel by looking at clouds more in depth you find out more than whats on the surface.I feel as if the more that I investigate a work of art the more I get out of it, I start to think about the process of the piece and the steps that were taken to achieve this final cloud tile. By examining the piece more closely without letting my fingers trace over the raised section of cracks towards the middle, I'm curious to how many layers where applied to create this texture of a soft, smooth cloud yet in a geometric shape.

1 comment:

  1. Justine, The porcelain slab that you see as the physical matrix of "Stratocumulus" was constructed of several layers of porcelain built one on top of the other to achieve thickness. This porcelain was pressed down while pretty wet on to a plaster slab with the cloud drawing etched into it. When the porcelain was raised up off the plaster the drawing lines revealed themselves a raised lines and therefore in the final piece they cast a soft, subtle shadow. The cracking was the result of the tension and shrinkage of the layers in the firing. I knew that would happen and invited it, but didn't know exactly what pattern the cracks would take. The geometric shape was the result of a decision to reference tile and architecture as a historical and figurative presence: geometry, the square or near square referencing logic----mankind's intervention into nature. The tile was glazed in the unfired state with a thick application. After firing the surface was sand blasted which adds to the quality of softness. Thanks for the questions/observations and the comments about your mom and the clouds. Clouds float, they move configuring and reconfiguring---always changing. I tried to reference this as an ideal. Best, Professor Wayne

    ReplyDelete