Thursday, January 28, 2010

The White Wind - Nick

My winters have always been different. While the weather may seem like a non-confrontational subject, never have I been so confronted. The part of the day that best defined my weatherly disorientation was mid morning. I drove to tinkertown through light snow which induced childhood nostalgia of my Minnesota youth. Although when it snows in MN, it snows: ceaselessly... for days. Although when I got into my car to drove back towards Alfred, gail force winds kicked up whiteout conditions with gigantic eddies and twisters of snow. However at this point it had apparently stopped snowing. I parked at Alfred, walked to the bookstore, and then outside. The sun shown down reflecting off of the white terrain. The wind was calm. Shadows of the buildings and trees were exaggerated by the contour-less monotone. The unpredictable weather reminded me of the hills of Hawaii or the valleys of Oregon where I have spent time. This week has been my first week settled down in a region of four seasons. I love it. I hold the hills responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment