Thursday, January 28, 2010

Arianna

Noticed at 4:43 pm.

Glancing over at the counter next to the sink, I realize someone needs to do the dishes. I roll up my sleeves, and get to work, clanging and clinking around until the dishes are organized. I try to be quiet, as my apartment mate is in her room working, but my failed attempts only seem to amplify the noises I make. Dink - I take a dry plate from the dishrack, starting a minor avalanche of pot lids, ceramic plates and tupperware. After they resettle, I take a small bowl, only to cause the avalanche again. Eventually I mentally give up "being quiet," and the avalanches miraculously stop.

Filling the sink, the water makes the bubbles only build around where the water causes commotion. Too much soap? Maybe yes. The sink is only a third full when the bubbles in the edge of the sink. Damn. After a few rounds of wash, rinse, wash, rinse, the water loses its heat. Washing the bubbles off my hands to rinse the clean dishes, it's obvious now I used too much soap. My hands are still slippery even when clean. Also, I love the underwater clanking of the dishes; different without the water, but still distinctive.

Tasting only the gum I've had since 1 pm. Only the barest hint of minty fresh left. What's more is that it's probably just my imagination of minty fresh.

My vision is taken over by my memory momentarily during the silverware as I try to remember what's in the cupboard and then refrigerator.

Smelling, first, photographic fixer on my hands from earlier, then soapsoapsoap.

Still undecided on dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment