Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ursula Hilsdorf

After being awake since 4am and only consuming coffee, activia, and applesauce for breakfast I was anxious to get to Ade to eat some sort of indistinguishable food item. The walk to my destination was painful as my oversized yellow jacket hood was having trouble staying atop my skull because of the wind that made my vision blurry as it created salty water in my plain brown eyes. As I walked the steps up to ade I felt a burning sensation in my feet from being up on them for so many hours. The heat, falling from the dining hall made me unzip my jacket quickly and remove the hood that finally was affixed to my head. The scent of warm things to be eaten filled my nose but it was quickly invaded by dirty dish water as I passed the broken conveyor belt. I scanned the dining hall wondering if my aviodances were sharing the same joy of filling their stomachs with a poor excuse for a meal that would soon turn into irregular bowel movements followed my unpleasent visits to the toilet. Luckly I ran into the person I shared living quarters with previously to my new roommate. She was eating what appeared to be *gasp* something potentially delicious. It was a visually appealing browned chicken breast with a sort of barbecue glaze painted on it. I asked for a taste and ripped off some muscle. It was a bit chewy as it swam about my mouth and was taken by my esophagus. It was enjoyable, a bit spicy like something spicy would probably taste. I decided to trump over to the chicken being served with a lovely bun that looked like the ones in those fast food commercials. I made a stop at the salad bar to spoon blue cheese next to my chicken in case i decided it didn't taste good with it. I then went to the drinks that I had passed walking to the blue cheese. Sparkling water. I sat down in a corner with my roommate where we sit, everyday except the days when we don't eat there...obviously. The dull chatter is sometimes broken when I amuse myself with eavesdropping on conversations involving some slut that hooked up with the guy they were hooking up with the previous saturday. It was a silent conversation because we were both stuffing our faces with the pretty good chicken with the blue cheese and the lovely bun. I couldn't drink the sparkling water because it stung my tounge when the bubbles popped. We left shortly thereafter to discover that the chicken that tasted good was probably filled with a lot things that shouldn't be ingested for it disagrees with the complicated process of digestion.

1 comment:

  1. Ursula, Overheard conversations are a tale of a University subtext that might lead to a slice of life short story. I don't know if they could be used to recruit students though... perhaps, same everywhere in higher education don't you suppose? "indistinguishable food item"....what shape, color, texture is that???? Seems like a good descriptive wording construct for a mass food service product. Also, liked, but winced over your " ripped off some muscle" gesture, but then there was the "lovely" bun. Thanks for your entry, Best, Professor Wayne

    ReplyDelete