Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Today's Lunch by Adam Biggar

As I climbed the stairs to the Powell dining hall, the cling and clatter of plates became shaper. as each step i took the clanging of plates and the chatter of the dining room filled the hollow air. once in the dining hall the air was filled with the smell of food. The most noticeable was that of todays cuisine of General Tso's chicken. filled with rosy cheeks from the cold outside, students were bustling about grabbing food to nurture their starving bodies. after i had put my belongings down at my seat i entered the contest for food. there was not really any pushing or yelling, it was a competition for who could take the last of what was left so others had to wait. Avoiding the long lines i found myself looking at sickly greasy pizza, the cheese oozing with an orange fluid. wanting other things, but not wanting to wait i took a slice, them made my way over to the chocolate milk. The opaque liquid filled my cup and i could smell the chocolate as the stream stop leaving my cup over flowing. I calmly walked back to my seat and then started eating. the pizza was mildly revolting taste, even after i had soaked up the noxious orange fluid with a napkin. the taste lingered in my mouth and I found myself wondering why I had taken it. i then drank my milk, the smooth chocolaty flavor filled my mouth deteriorating any taste of the pizza. As i drank my dry, coarse throat was relieved, as the moisture absorbed into it. I finished leaving no trace of chocolate milk in the glass i calmly pushed my chair back with a scuffled screech, silenced by the carpet underneath, it made the same noise as i pushed it in. walking out I heard the same noise as i heard coming in, only this time fading more and more as i walked out the door.

1 comment:

  1. Adam, Pizza and chocolate milk??? Whatsup ( or SUP with that? ) I had a hard time resolving/tasting/putting those two together-nice entry. Thanks, Professor Wayne

    ReplyDelete