Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Katherine Lin's question

My question for the study is related to my working process. I haven't had much sculpture experience, and so, this ceramic course is quite new to me.I enjoyed making straight edges and rigid shapes from the previous assignments, so I started with a simple triangular form.When it came to slip painting, I began with geometric patterns that followed the sculpture.Later, after seeing the test tile, I realized the white slip was likely to blend into the clay color after firing. I got slightly frustrated since most of the design was white, and stopped working for a few days.The clay body was dried when I came back. I spent more time smoothing the surface and decided to differentiate white patterns by carving.As a result, the clay dust that came from carving covered the entire piece. I wiped it with sponge to blend the patterns more, now it has a sense of being worn-out.I want to know what kind of relationship the patterns and the piece itself present; and if the fact that I kept changing my mind shows in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment